This chemical is a combination of ferric and water and is available in different sizes of tightly closed containers. These are stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage and are orange to brown in color.
When dissolved in water,ferric chloride undergoes hydrolysis and gives off heat in a exothermic reaction. The resulting brown,acidic,and corrosive solution is used as a coagulant in sewage treatment and drinking water production and as an etchant for copper-based metals in printed circuit boards.Anhydrous ferric chloride is a fairly strong Lewis acid,and it is used as a catalyst in organic synthesis.
1. In Water Treatment – Effluent, Sewage and Drinking Water
2. In etching Printed Circuit Board
3. In the manufacture of several Iron Compounds
4. In Pharmaceutical Preparations
5. In Inks and Pigments
6. In Pickling of Stainless Steel and High Nickel Alloys.
7. In Textile Mordanting